Saturday, February 7, 2015

If It Can Be Done, It Can Be Overdone


In the wake of all the controversy surrounding the book, 50 Shades of Grey, I think this morning's blog about excess is totally appropriate.  Simply put, there is hardly any human activity that people have not felt the need to take to the extreme; including, of course, sex kink.  But I just want to dwell on the notion of excess, because it seems to be a human condition.

I and other internet bloggers have talked about balance frequently; about the prudence of moderation.  I would have to admit that I'm about as good a poster boy for hedonism as one could find.  I enjoy exciting the senses as much as anyone; good cuisine, wine, spirits, creating music, writing, reading, wilderness exploration and the other sundry pleasures of the flesh.  And it just seems that I find these various forms of stimulation more pleasurable if there's some element of hiatus in between; a refractory period, if you will, so that the exquisite does not become the mundane.

I love prime rib, but I'm certain that if I ate it ever day, or even every 2 or 3 days, it would lose some of its appeal for me.  There's something to be said for hunger and anticipation.

No doubt, this blog will seem rather redundant for some; no great revelations, here.  But it will never cease to amaze me how some people are just not satisfied with moderation.  There's little or no sense of enough is enough.  If it's worth doing, apparently it's worth overdoing.

And to come back 360º to the beginning, 50 Shades of Grey is just one of the most recent examples of excess.  I think many of you reading this would be surprised (if not shocked) by the actual popularity of light bondage.  "Normal" everyday people just wanting a little taste of naughty, of kink, of the forbidden.  They usually just use things like silk scarves (because they don't chafe) and fun items like blindfolds or furry toy handcuffs.  Nothing much to get your undies in a knot over.  Just a little harmless fun.  But there is that small percentage of individuals at both ends of the bell curve, isn't there?  One one end you have the prudish and on the other the really heavy kink addicts.  Because you know, if a little is fun, a LOT must be better.  Sigh….

So, with that said, please enjoy the collection of excess images, because as the saying goes,"a picture is worth a thousand words."  Except, with these pictures, it's more like only one or two words; like wow or good grief!  And yes, that is a gold-plated Lamborghini.

I find the word obscene both misused and overused, but the last image surely qualifies.






















1 comment: