- Poor people are lazy: over half of all SNAP recipients are working adults. More than 80% of recipients worked during the year prior or after receiving SNAP. That figure is 90% for families with children.
- Single moms are to blame: only 9% of low-income, urban moms have been single throughout their child's first five years. 35% were married to the child's father.
- Minimum wage jobs are for teens: almost 88% of those affected by increasing the minimum wage are age 20 or older. Almost 36% are married and 28% are parents.
- Go back to school and get a better job: In 2012, just over a million people held a bachelor's degree, worked full time, and made less than $25,000 a year.
- The homeless want to be homeless: 1 in 45 children experience homelessness each year. That's over 1.6 million kids. Among families who are homeless with children, the majority cited loss of a job as the cause, followed by the lack of affordable housing, and low paying jobs.
- The poor are ripping us off: fraud in the SNAP program is one penny on the dollar. Fact. And, the average food stamp benefit in WI and MN is only $116/mo. That's not even $4/day! Who the f*k would choose to try to live on that??
A "cheap" one bedroom apartment in Minneapolis starts at about $550.
An average Walmart employee makes $8.81/hr. You do the cost of living math.
I realize that a lot of voters have the short-term memory of a gerbil. That's probably why they continue to vote for lying SOBs like Ryan and his ilk.
Next time you hear someone whining about "the poor and unemployed," remember some of the facts listed above.